Sunday, August 31, 2008

Billy Budd

Billy Budd is one of the most photographed icons on the Walla Walla University campus - after the administration building, that is! Most people don't even know who he is or why he's here in front of the library, and to be honest - I'm not sure why they chose the sailor. But Billy Budd is in fact a literary name. Herman Melville began a novella named "Billy Budd," but left it unfinished at his death in 1891. It was not published until 1924. Maybe if I'd read the novella I'd understand why the sailor character was chosen for this campus, but at least this literary character was placed in front of the library. That, at least, makes sense!

5 comments:

Laurie Allee said...

I read it back in high school... but I have no idea why it was chosen for your campus!

It's an interesting sculpture, though, and the curiosity of why it's there makes it even more fun.

Wayne said...

I'm a fan of Terrance Stamp. Not long ago I decided to watch the DVD with a very! young Stamp playing Billy Budd.

I thought the movie was excellent. If anyone is interested in a well done film shot in LA with some great LA scenes give The Limey a try.

I just know Laurie is laughing up her sleeve at me trying to critique movies.

The Mom said...

You could always watch the movie. It's an old black-and-white movie from the 50's(?) or 60's(?). I remember seeing it as a teenager (okay, that goes way back) and I really liked it.

Rachel E. Adams said...

I think you better ask Tom Emmerson why he did Billy Bud - it's his piece. I don't know if he did it for the installation, or had it going and then placed it.

I graduated in 1989. English/French

Anonymous said...

Nice package?