Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Underworld Art


When you leave Milton-Freewater and head southeast, you cross this river, which I believe is the Walla Walla River. This overpass and road takes you to Southfork, of which I did a series of photos around Thanksgiving. This overpass, however, is just as you're starting to leave the "city" of Milton-Freewater (I put that in quotation marks because MF has approximately 6,000 residents) and head into the countryside. The unexpected colours from beneath the road caught my eye and I turned into a nearby driveway to investigate. This is what I found beneath the overpass. I don't know who did it or why or even when, but it's beautiful. I just love the vivid colours!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Beautiful street art.

Debbie Courson Smith said...

Happy New Year to you!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Sometimes street art can be real art and so much better too.

A Happy New Year too.

The Mom said...

Very nice and not tacky!

Lynette said...

Portland Oregon Daily Photo sends you heartfelt wishes for the new year. May your 2009 be filled with good health, riches of the mind and heart, loved ones returning home, an increased respect for our fragile planet, and the cessation of wars across the Earth.

I've enjoyed your recent posts!

C S Poppenga said...

Hi -
I happened upon your blog and was very surprised to see the photo of a portion of my river mural in your January 28, 2009 post and now I see one of my other murals is also posted on your blog. Cool! I'm glad people are enjoying my work! I painted this brightly colored mural under the bridge to cover some pretty horrible gang graffiti. At the time I lived just a few houses down from this bridge and decided to "do" the bridge to discourage the vandalism and also as a response to a drive-by shooting that had taken place in the immediate neighborhood. The county wouldn't give me permission to do the mural, so I figured "Hey, the gangs don't get permission for their obscenities, so why do I need permission to clean things up?" I painted this in just over a day with one assistant (the mural extends the entire width of the bridge.) I painted some areas with "invisible" phosphorescing paint that you can only see at night. I don't know if that paint still has any glow to it now, as the mural was painted in 2005.

Here is a link to the mural portion of my website: http://poppenga.com/mural.html
On that page, in the left column, click on 15th Street Bridge and you can read about how the mural was created and see more photos.
Thanks for posting this cool surprize for me to discover.
Cheers!
Carol Poppenga
Main website: poppenga.com
Blog site: poppenga.blogspot.com