Sunday, November 2, 2008

Memories


When we were little, our parents used to take my sisters and I to visit Grandpa and Grandma in Ohio. We loved visiting, but riding in the car wasn't always so much fun (we couldn't afford to fly). So, 45 hours later, we'd end up in Grandpa and Grandma's driveway, with Grandma standing on the back porch waving and smiling, and Grandpa standing in the driveway with his hands in his pockets. Ohio has a certain look and feel to it, just as any area does. But sometimes, I can be reminded of those years past - and Grandpa and Grandma, who are both now resting - by looking down a certain street. This one, located in College Place, does a pretty good job of taking me back to the streets of Ohio when we'd visit Grandpa and Grandma in the little green house with the white and green awnings.

3 comments:

Debbie Courson Smith said...

The trees and width of the street probably play into that image, as well. Nice shot.

Pat said...

So nostalgic for me, too. I grew up in Pennsylvania on a street similar to this, but with fewer houses. No sidewalks, in a white house with green shutters.

The Mom said...

Older areas have so much history: the houses with the awnings as you stated, and the sidewalks are usually cracked and uneven from the roots of the 100-year-old-plus trees that are standing like sentries over the street. Driveways were usually two strips of cement with grass down the middle. I remember the first time I tried to back out of Grandma and Grandpa's driveway and I kept running over the grass. Grandpa didn't mind, but your father was constantly reminding me to be more careful. There was barely enough room for the car to fit between the house and the fence as it was! Fun times!