Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Palouse Falls 2

This is Palouse Falls. I talked a bit about it yesterday, so you can read that posting for more information on the area. This is the major waterfall in the area (the rest are about 3-4 feet high), and is 198 feet high. These waterfalls are part of the Palouse River, and lead straight into the Snake River. This shot was taken from the parking area; when you take the hike I mentioned yesterday you end up right at the top of the falls, looking down as it plummets nearly 200 feet to the river below. It's quite spectacular, really.

The heat isn't the only thing that makes the hike somewhat unenjoyable. It is also not really a trail - just a slightly flattened area on a hillside covered in shale rocks. It's easy to slip and tumble. When you fall, the rocks are not only sharp and hard, but also hot from the sun. One must be careful on this hike! Oh, and did I mention that this is prime rattlesnake territory? Just one more reason to watch your step on this hike!

4 comments:

Meri said...

Great picture. I bet the rattlesnake threat is even higher in early fall. Isn't that when they shed their skin and are more apt to strike? Seems like I remember something like that from an NPR show years and years ago, when I was living in Texas and terrified of all four kinds of poisonous snakes located within its borders.

cieldequimper said...

aOh, great, you've dampened me now!!! Gorgeous postcard though!

Lowell said...

Isn't this the area partly traveled by Lewis and Clark?

I love this composition!

Unseen India Tours said...

What a lovely shot !! Loved the waterfall..Thanks for sharing the beauty..Do check my another blog also i.e.Unseen Rajasthan